The Quality of life of every child improves when they are given:
- A voice
- Real choices.
Listen to Harvey talking about the things he likes and dislikes.
The quality of a child's life affects and is affected by many areas of their well-being, including:
- Physical well-being
- Emotional well-being
- Self-determination (making choices and determining the course of events)
- Interpersonal relationships
- Social inclusion
- Personal development
- Material well-being, and
- Rights and privacy
Consider these areas in relation to Harvey's audio clip.
What can you say about the quality of his life?
Is there anything that might improve it?
Your answer might have included the following:
- Despite being a wheelchair user, Harvey is involved in a lot of sports. Adapted sports and equipment enable him to participate. Involvement in sport will improve his physical and emotional well-being. A hand-cycle might enable him to participate more in bike rides with his family.
- Harvey takes part in team games - this is likely to benefit his emotional well-being and promotes interpersonal relationships.
- Using the computer seems to be promoting his personal development.